Welcome to Gergy

Created in 1992, the caravan and campsite has 30 camping places on the bank of the river Saône. It has its own attractive bar and restaurant, a children's playground and a volleyball court. Two tennis courts are available about 1km from the campsite.

Half way between Verdun-sur-le-Doubs and Chalon-sur-Saône, the campsite and restaurant is situated 400m from the centre of this riverside village with local shops and facilities (doctor, chemist's, post office etc.).

There are numerous walks and riverside rambles along the tree-lined banks of the river Saône and forest and footpaths of varying lengths remain to be discovered at your leisure.

The Saône, a wide and peaceful river, also offers excellent fishing opportunities (carp, pikeperch, silurid). Thanks to the local fishing society’s continuing endeavours, the riverside and dykes are tended to ensure pleasure and serenity for anglers.

Taken together the river and the nearby forest offer attractive walks for all and sundry, whether hikers, nature-lovers or mushroom aficionados. For the latter, the autumnal colours of the forest are a sight worth seeing.

A traditional centre of industrial engraving in former times, Gergy is still home to one of the most renowned companies that specialises in this craft, carrying the name of Gergy throughout France, Europe and as far as other continents.

Count Hilaire de CHARDONNET (1839-1924), who invented artificial silk, remains the most renowned person of this rural region.

Finally, Mme BOUCICAUT (1816-1887), who was born in the neighbouring village of Verjux, rose to a high social position through her numerous good works. She displayed active solidarity between people and demonstrated generosity in the region (Chalon's maternity hospital, the bridge linking Verjux and Gergy, Verjux's village hall as well as schools).

The village church of St Germain dates back to the beginning of 13th century. In the early Gothic style, its massive exterior aspect conceals a high and beautiful nave, a quaint south-facing porch, worked consoles and capitals, the sculptured face of a child from the 17th century, a pieta and a beautiful St John the Baptist dating from the 15th century. The painting of the church chancel is proof of the talent of Etienne RAFFORT (1802-1880), a local artist.

The geographical location of this countryside village offers ample scope for interesting outings: museums (Denon and Niepce in Chalon-sur-Saône) and ecomuseums in Pierre-de-Bresse, Verdun-sur-le-Doubs and St Martin-en-Bresse); the archeodrome in Beaune, as well as the world-famous Hospice; abbeys in Citeaux, Tournus and Cluny; a castle in La Rochepot; Louhans' arcades, and wines from the Beaune Hospices, Meursault, Rully, Mercurey, Buxy, Givry.

Thanks to Angela Rast-Margerison have translated this page